Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Is teaching Elapsed Time a topic you dread teaching? Well, I've got some examples of how to use the Mountains, Hills, and Rocks Strategy to help students with this tough concept. A teacher shared this strategy with me several years ago and I've been using it every since. I have been amazed at how it is simple and yet helps students "see" the problem and find the correct solution! I hope this is helpful to you! Here is the first example:
Here is the second example:


Here's a resource you might want to check out with elapsed time word problems on task cards! Great problems to have students practice this strategy!
 Elapsed Telling Time Task Cards


8 comments:

  1. This is really cute, Anne. I'm a very visual person and so are a lot of the students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Margo! I hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Great idea!Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you like this idea!

      Delete
  3. This is a great strategy. I'll be adding it to my bag of tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know! Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. WOW!!! Love the images too. I am not really good at Math, but visual aids help. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind comments!

      Delete